[Bf-funboard] Snaps & Trims

Karim Nassar bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:46:50 -0500

I've put together a little page detailing some ideas on snapping &
trimming of geometry gleaned from many years of CAD use. I think that
such functions would be invaluable to the development of Blender as a
Pro-level modeling tool (I know I could use them!).

Note that I've organized these ideas in a way they might appear to the
user. Careful planning in implementation should make several of these
tools trivial, as the code required to execute the functions will build
upon itself.

http://www.karimnassar.com/phoenix/trims/snaps_trims.html

As an afterthought, I suggest that even though many of the snaps can be
executed currently by combining multiple steps (ie: snap Vertex To
Vertex, by means of the Cursor), this is no reason not to implement a
streamlined continuum of snap tools, since when such tools are needed,
they are frequently needed repeatedly, and an automated 2-step tool will
be superior to the "tool-combination" approach, and by building the
"simple" snaps as discrete functions, the complex snaps & trims can be
built more easily.

Thoughts?

--Karim