[Bf-funboard] Zbuffer output

Roland Hess bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:29:24 -0500

This functionality request is very simple, so I didn't bother making
a full-up html proposal. If that is required, let me know and I'll do
it.

Feature request: Integrated zbuffer output.

Controls: toggle for zbuffer output in Render Buttons. This could
replace the little used "BW" button, or an additional "Z" or "RGBZ"
button could be added. Zbuffer output would be generated to all image
formats that support one channel information.  RGBZ would be
generated to targa format and others that support more than three
channels.

Reasoning: There are a host of post-processing techniques (DOF blur,
color adjustment, more versatile fogging, compositing) that can be
applied with easily accessible zbuffer information. Although a
sequencer plugin exists for zbuffer output, it seems to me that this
functionality could be easily and quickly integrated into the normal
render output pipeline, giving the growing number of users who
post-process their images and animations a powerful, simple method
for accessing this useful data.

Thanks

P.S. Coders, regarding the latest cvs builds: you guys are
incredible! I'm, er, soiling myself every day when I check out
blender.org and find some new delicious goody there. Things seem to
be picking up steam.
--
Roland Hess - harkyman
IT Manager