[Bf-funboard] Replacing OB, SCE, IP, etc, with icons

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 14:37:56 +0100

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 10:54:07PM +1000, Luke Wenke wrote:
> http://members.ozemail.com.au/~wenke/blender/TypeIcons.png

> I tried to make the icons fairly subtle but they are still probably a bit
> too distracting. It saves about 1 character compared to the old 3 character
> wide abbreviations SCR and SCE.

One possible advantage would have been the names being the only text standing
out better. With all text you will alyways scan along the abbreviation until
you find the start of the name to actualy read it. Well, that would be better
with icons, if images would not attract attention much stronger than text.
Can't make them that subtle!

The icons for scenes and screens are not recognizeable. They would have to be
learned, therefore they should be more terse. But don't feel bad about it, I
knew it would be terrible hard to impossible to come up with good icons for
these 2.

> Well since I did that mockup the idea seems quite a bit less attractive.
> Though it would be good if abbreviations like "IP" (for keyframed animation
> that isn't necessarily interpolated) could disappear somehow...
> - Luke.

Year. The abbreviations seem to be not an optimal solution. But the usual
approach to use labels in front or above selection widgets needs to much
space.

Just an idea, how about expanding the part that expands the menu to include
the abbreviation (not all uppercase)? So there would be more differentiation
between label and name. I might try that, but not today (priorities ...).

Thank you very much for your effort!

---
Thorsten