[Bf-funboard] hiding the menus and other things with RMB menu

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 01:33:28 +1000

Hi,
This is based on Internet Explorer and some other MS programs...
When you right-click on the toolbar, there is a pop-up menu with the names
of items that can be displayed in the toolbar. If they are currently being
displayed, it has a tick next to them. Then you can left-click or
right-click on the names of one of the items and it toggles the visibility
of the item and exits that popup menu. Sometimes the programs also have a
"lock toolbar" option in the popup menu. This let's you arrange the order of
the items or fix their positions. When the items aren't "locked" then there
are some extra bits on the toolbar which you can grab.
I think those features should be in Blender for all of the headers. I think
they should be locked by default, but with the ability for you to unlock
them and change the button order. (e.g. if you don't have much header space
you might want the layer buttons to come first in most of the 3D windows.) I
think the menu visibility could also be toggled using the right-click pop-up
menu... (even though MS programs don't seem to do that) Then you wouldn't
have those triangles taking up space and it is more consistent if the item
visibility is controlled in the same way.
BTW, here's my webpage about the main header bar:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~wenke/blender/blender-mainheader.htm
Personally I only ever use 1 scene, but sometimes like seeing the scene
information so it would be good if I could just right-click on the header
and untick "Scene Selection" - and also stop the Blender version being
displayed (by unticking that) (I know what blender version it is!)

On second thoughts, I guess it would be better to use the triangle for
hiding the menu, since people might want to repeatedly hide and display the
menu. But I still think you should have a right-click menu for toggling the
visibility of other header items and a "lock the toolbars" (or "lock
header") option - which would let you even put the menu somewhere else.
Perhaps the left-most dropdown menu (for window-type selection) could even
be a thing you could turn off and move around (while it is turned on). The
right-click menu could also let you set how many rows high the header is -
in case you have a narrow header - e.g. you have a vertically arranged
buttons window. In Internet Explorer, when you unlock the toolbar you can
just drag the bottom of the toolbar to make it any size you want (at least 1
line high).

- Luke.