[Bf-funboard] Re: Object Hierarchy / Visibilty Management

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 20:35:39 +0100

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 02:40:53AM +1000, Luke Wenke wrote:
> Hi,
> It took me a long time to figure out what those little boxes on the side of
> the tree mean... I eventually saw that they have little numbers in them. It
> seems that they are used to state which part is which layer... the 2 is next
> to the blue lock, and the 3 is next to the red line, etc - and that
> corresponds to the layer icons at the bottom of the pic.

Did you read my proposal?
The buttons are used to assign buttons to groups/objects in the manager.
They are always numbered from top down to avoid confusion.

But of course, it's not good if one can't tell how something is supposed
to work. On the other hand, this functionality is for advanced users.
With 20 normal groups assigned to the buttons as preset, it would
be just like the current system (besides additional states, but that
is a somewhat separate concept).

Buttons in the array could be highlighted on moving the mouse over
the assignment icon with appropiate number.

> I think if no lattices, armatures, etc, exist then those groups
> shouldn't appear. Unless... you could use those category names to go to a
> pop-up menu and go to "new lattice", etc.

It would be very strange to have them appear as soon as an appropiate
object is added. They shouldn't be used to add objects, because other
groups can't have similar functionality and I would call it overloading.

---
Thorsten