(and colour blindess) Re: [Bf-funboard] Object Hierarchy / Visibilty Management

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 12:34:01 +1000

> Association with "no ..." signs isn't intended, but is hard to avoid.
> The intention is to indicate that there's something disabled, not that
> something is forbidden.
It kind of is forbidden though... it's forbidden to be rendered....

> And in it's current orientation the line goes up (reading direction) and
> makes you fell happy, instead of going down and make you depressive ;-)
> Seriously, if no better replacemet can be found, I'm for keeping it
> exactly like is.
I had been implying that the direction be the opposite but otherwise it is
really good.

> > For more contrast I suggest that white be used as a background colour.
> > The background colours could be this:
> > Empty non-visible - white
> > Empty visible - light grey
> > Occupied non-visible - medium-light or medium grey
> > Occupied visible - medium-dark or dark grey
> So basicaly I would just have to increase contrast.
Not quite... I thought you currently had it like this:
Occupied non-visible - light grey
Empty non-visible - medium-list grey
Empty visible - medium grey
Occupied visible - medium-dark grey

> > If layers have sublayers, my suggestion is that the lower-right corned
have
> > a tiny black circle or square. It could go right in the corner, with no
gap
> > between the edge.
> There are no sublayers with my mockup.
If they're still in the proposal, they still need to be considered.

> > The active layer could have a little coloured star in the lower-left
corner.
> > (It could even go over the lower-left border so that it doesn't obscure
the
> > other things much.
> Another icon inside the button is very problematic. There are only so few
> pixels.
I said it could go over the lower-left border... i.e. it isn't inside the
border of the button like other icons.
It doesn't have to be a star... it could be a little circle or square (a
yellow one?) I think it should go over the top of the other things, with no
transparency. It could be a 2x2 square or 3x3 cross... (or a 3x3 square or
4x4 circle or square, etc)

> I use a border, but I think it shouldn't have too mutch weight.
> Bright color can be distracting. And white or black provide maximum
> contrast on bright or dark gray.
I think white would be better than black... a pastel colour could be used
for people who have their monitors at high resolutions (I do, and it makes
it hard to see little things, such as full stops/periods).

>...Best thing is to make sure things work with brightness contrast alone.
> And then, far as I understand, one should keep in mind that either
> pure red or green will be perceived with much less contrast by people
> with 1 of the 2 most often found color vision deficiencies. Blue and
yellow
> seem to be rather save (statisticaly).
I guess I shouldn't have said that red/green/blue was a good combination...
the reason I said that is because on those colour wheels, people would be
able to distinguish between pure red and pure green by luminosity (green is
a lot brighter). Red and darker green would be indistinguishable for many
colour blind people though.
I said earlier that I think the combination to use in the layers could be
red/yellow/blue. If you look on the colour wheel, pure red and pure yellow
vary quite a lot in luminosity, while pure blue (looks like dark blue) has a
very different hue.
- Luke.