[Bf-funboard] File Browser proposal

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 11:24:17 +0100

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 05:14:30PM +0100, William Reynish wrote:

> Now we can start to examine the good/bad points of
> different file browsers.

Mac OS X dialogs:
What I like about them is, that they seem to be designed
according to some questions ordered by importance:
For saving:
  How to call the file, what filetype, where to put it.

All actions/commands are at the bottom.

What I don't like is the strange vertical scrolling
paned filebrowser widget. Since only Mac OS X users
are used to it, vertical srolling is bad (if it can be
avoided) and I don't see an advantage, we should not
copy it.

Favorites/Shortcuts on the side are a good thing. I think
the icons used in XP there are much to big.

To William's new fileselector:
If I interpret it the right way, then you have fixed
bookmarks (Render, Texture ...) and customizeable
below them. I think it should be all 1 set. Don't
introduce special cases without need.

The part with the navigation and other buttons should be
a toolbar. With icons rather than buttons.
The refresh button is still more complicated than it
has to be. You might want to look at the one from KDE
again:
http://wrstud.urz.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/en/blender_ui/screenshots/kde_k3b_open.png

---
Thorsten