[Bf-funboard] File Browser proposal / Gnome dialogs

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:39:08 +0100

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 01:45:23PM +1100, Matt Ebb wrote:

> I also recall that the GNOME unix desktop project are in the process of
> re-designing their file selector - does anyone have any links to the
> discussions that have taken place surrounding that? We could learn
> something from them and avoid duplicating effort. Anyway, I think it
> would be much easier to make something more concrete, once we have some
> sort of a specification of what's good, bad, needed, or not.

I found a sourceforge project for Gnome file dialogs. But I think
it's dead (like most stuff on sourceforge ...):
http://home.wanadoo.nl/sbm/

My search on the Gnome usabilty list didn't bring up anything of
interest.

Apple HIG on dialogs:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/XHIGDialogs/index.html

Just a idea that hit me while typing the above:

Displaying current path in file browser in breadcrumb style, with
all levels in it as clickable links for fast navigation.

And please include commandline like navigation and autocompletion.

---
Thorsten