[Bf-funboard] Re: Features for testing and critics [Solutions propositions]

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:34:29 +0200

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 07:50:50AM +0200, ph wrote:

> Just pressing a number won't be enough to trigger numerical input, since '-'
> would have to cause this effect too, thus altering the PET hotkeys (I think
> the gain is lower than the price there). Once inside Numerical input, '-'
> can be freely used.

I hope to make no mistakes here!

"+" and "-" Keys:

With G, R and S out of selection mode:
  Numpad keys zoom, others do nothing and could start numerical input.

In edit-mode before any other keypress:
  Numpad keys zoom, main-keyboard "+" does nothing, but "-" toggles
  layers in a way I don't understand right now. What's that functionality
  meant to be used for? Could this rather strange use of "-" be changed?

With G, R and S out of edit-mode:
  Same as with selection-mode.

G, R and S with PET:
  Numpad keys change selection size, main-keyboard keys do nothing.

With the one exception of the minus-key changing layer-selection, the
mainkeyboard "+" and "-" could be used to start numerical input, but
the numpad keys can't.

But anyway, an other possibility would be to switch between positive and
negative values after at least one number has been entered. Because an "+" or
"-" in midst of the value doesn't make sense.

By the way: besides the point-key, comma should be allowed for numerical input,
too.

> How about that?:
>
>  Once inside G/S or R, if you want to enter a number for all three axes at
> the same time, press N. If you want for example the X axis alone, press X,
> then N. XXN for local axis. Press ShiftN instead of N when you want to clear
> the value beforehand and type freely.

The axis constraining keys cold have effect after N, too.

Shift-N for clearing the value is to complicated. As seen on this list I'm
not the only one thinking that numerical input is meant to be used for exact
values, so that combined use with the mouse is no good. Especialy when you
alredy have to press an extra key (N), the mouse should be ignored and the
initial value has to be nothing/neutral.

---
Thorsten