[Bf-funboard] Features for testing and critics / Num-Entry

Karim Nassar bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:40:43 -0400

I think this is absolutely critical: Numeric entry should always trump
mouse entry. No offense intended, but the combination of the values
interactively is a horrible idea... If the user wants quick and
ball-park coordinates, he can use the mouse. If the user wants exact and
specific coordinates, then he should be able to enter them without fear
of accidentlly bumping the mouse.

If I can't absolutely count on "1.357" always being exactly "1.357" in
every single case, then there is no point in having the feature.

I really appreciate all the work that is being done on this, and don't
want to be overly critical, but I really feel that this can not be over
stated.

The way it ought to work (IMHO):

1) The user presses "G" (or "R" or "S")

2) Either:

	A) moves the mouse to interactively manipulate the object
  or
	B) types "0,12.4,-3.45[RETURN]" and the moment the user starts
	typing numbers, the mouse ceases to manipulate the object, and
	any un-accepted transforms are cancelled (ie: the numeric entry
	starts from zero).

There are times when a feature is implemented correctly in other
applications, and there is no reason to change it just so that Blender
can be different. This is one of those cases.

--Karim