[Bf-funboard] Features for testing and critics

Matt Ebb bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:03:39 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thorsten Wilms" <t_w_@freenet.de>
To: <bf-funboard@blender.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 6:55 AM
Subject: Re: [Bf-funboard] Features for testing and critics

>> Axis constraining: I would love to see some kind of a hint right in
> the 3d-view of which constraint is active. I find myself to often
> clicking middle-mouse button and wiggling the mouse until I get it
> right. Maybe some simple arrows would do.

I was thinking about this the other day. An idea to improve visual feedback
could be, when the movement is in axis constrained mode (either by pressing
X, Y, Z or by middlemouse, or by a menu), a line could be drawn through the
screen along the axis that the movement is constrained to/around, passing
through the center point of the object. This would help when working in the
3D view as you can see where the object is headed (since it's harder to tell
when the movement isn't following the mouse movements
directly/proportionally). It could look in a similar way to the axis lines
in Wings3D and they could be colour coded, eg. Red = X, Green = Y, Blue = Z.

Rough mockup here (supposedly while moving an object along the local X
axis): http://mke3.net:9000/blender/ui/misc/axisconstrain_feedback.png

Matt