[Bf-funboard] per vertex properties and property sets: second proposal

Gregor Mückl bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:31:01 +0200

Am Sonntag, 24. August 2003 22:34 schrieb Thorsten Wilms:
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 06:23:49PM +0200, Gregor Mückl wrote:
> >
> > GENERAL IDEA
> > ------------
> >
> > The idea is to extend the current property mechanism in a way that allo=
ws
> > the assignment of properties to various objects including vertices.
> >
> > The implementation has two parts: global property sets and their usage =
in
> > assigning properties to individual vertices.
> >
> > Global property sets are named lists of properties that behave just like
> > object properties. A new property type will be introduced to reference
> > global property sets. This property type will *not* be available in
> > global property sets to avoid circular references from the ground up.
> >
> > Global property sets can be shared between as many local sets as you
> > like. Indeed they are introduced to make the mass-assigning of long lis=
ts
> > of properties easier for the user. At the same time it is possible to
> > override properties from the global sets using local properties of the
> > same name.
>
> If I do understand this, then it's like inheritence from abstract classes?

Yes, that's the basic idea behind this. But I think that this mechanism will
probably never be used for existing things like materials (unless someone
decides to implement this - I for one won't).