[Bf-funboard] Re: Proposal: Cursor Set

Ton Roosendaal bf-funboard@blender.org
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 12:37:36 +0200

Hi,

(to Guillermo:) X11 users already have a nice set of default cursors to
choose from. In Windows it's a different set, and smaller. In OSX
however, the default set is ridiculously limited. :-)

We've copied the Glut cursor set to Ghost, but it remains very
limited... as part of our interface improvements project, defining a
coherent cross platform set of cursors is very welcome. Especially in
(further) communicating to a user which mode or tool currently is being
used.

 From Bischofftep's list I think the tools like 'grabber, rotate, scale'
shouldn't get each its own cursor. This especially because the amount
of variants would become confusing; think of 'proportional editmode' or
'shrink/fatten' or 'extrude using normals'... and what else will be
added in the future.
If we can define a set of 10-15 good cursors, we've got more than
enough. I've edited this list a bit below:

GLOBALS:
* "Normal" Pointer - (use the default OS cursor here)
* WaitCursor - the program is running and the user should stand by.
* FrameCounter - display the current frame number while in playback or
render mode
* Window edge draggers - horizontal and vertical motion

WINDOW/EDITOR RELATED:

* Normal pointer by default, unless one of the below cases apply (in
this order):
* Paintbrush - for vertexpaint / texturepaint / weightpaint modes
* Texture-Face selector - for FaceSelect mode
* Armature Selector - for Pose mode
* TextCursor - for texteditor
* Vertex Selector - default editmode cursor
	* Edge Selector - if editmode defaults to edge selection
	* Face Selector - if editmode defaults to face selection
* Boundary Selector - Appears when the program is in "boundary select"
mode
* Transform cursor - for all sublooping transform calls (grab/size etc)
* HandCursor - for all (middlemouse) view manipulations

BTW:
* Viewport Selector - should become obsolete, such tools should be
provided in a clear contextual menu.

For design; I think we should stick to the default of 16x16 pixels,
this is supported everywhere. An advanced preset editor as Matt
describes (photoshop) can better be decided on in a later stage...
implementing the first step will be more than work enough todo.

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org