[Bf-funboard] Re: Proposal: Cursor Set

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:24:35 +0200

bischofftep@mac.com (2003-08-15 at 1445.51 -0400):
> Blender does not currently have a comprehensive set of cursors to
> provide feedback to the user about the state of the program and what it
> is ready to do or capable of doing at any given moment with the mouse.

It does, I have been looking at the code and it has a list, and they
are used, at least here they have been always used. It takes them from
the OS in most cases. If you do not see them, then I think your
version has a problem.

> * "Normal" Pointer - This is the default cursor which is used in all
> button windows, file selectors, and at any time no other cursor is
> specified by the program.

Arrow.

> * Timer - This cursor appears when the program is processing an
> instruction and the user should stand by.

Watch. Or in other cases frame rendering number (must be the only one
in which Blender creates its own, and it shows).

> * Object Selector - Appears when the mouse is inside a viewport or IPO
> window that is in Object mode
> * Vertex Selector - Appears when the mouse is inside a viewport or IPO
> window in Edit mode or in a UV editing window
> * Armature Selector - Appears when the mouse is inside a viewport in
> Pose mode
> * Face Selector - Appears when the program is inside a viewport in Face
> Select mode

Arrows, and in the case of face mode, which is the one that could
cause confusion, arrow with completly different angle. The rest are
arrows, like in any place where you point with the arrow then click
(like icons in the file manager, or buttons in any app).

> * Rotator - Appears when the program is handling a "Rotate" instruction
> * Scaler - Appears when the program is handling a "Scale" instruction
> * Grabber - Appears when the program is handling a "Grab" instruction

Arrows, can be improved. Due the way it works I doubt it would help
much. You get better feedback due the white and the screen updates.

> * Boundary Selector - Appears when the program is in "boundary select"
> mode

Cross.

> * Window Sizer (H) - Appears when mousing over a horizontal window
> border and when click/dragging a horizontal window border
> * Window Sizer (V) - Appears when mousing over a vertical window border
> and when click/dragging a vertical window border

Doubled headed arrow.

> * Viewport Selector - Appears when the program is waiting for the user
> to click in a viewport (as in Spin operations)

? with arrow.

> * Paintbrush - Appears when the mouse is inside a viewport in a paint
> mode: vertex paint, texture paint, weight paint

Arrow, shared with face select (both modes can be on at the same time,
so it makes sense).

The ones I talk are for X11, I know that the watch is a sand clock in
MSWindows, for example.

GSR