[Bf-funboard] Automatic Edge Bevelling

Alexander Ewering bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:10:38 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Peepz!

I mentioned this quite a lot of times on various Blender-
related IRC channels ;-), but now I think it's time to make
a concise, clear proposal on it.

I'm thinking of a feature that can already be found in
a similar form in WINGS and that would probably increase
the usability of blender's modeller by 200%.

"Automatic Edge bevelling":

Editbuttons for meshes have 2 more Sliders:

Bevelling Threshold (deg.): >= 90
Bevel size                : 0.1
Bevel resolution          : 3

Blender checks all edges in the mesh and the angle at
which they meet. If it is greater or equal to the
value of the "Threshold" slider, the edge is automatically
subdivided and rounded. The size of the bevel (how "round"
the edge is) is determined by the "Bevel size" slider,
the resolution of the bevel (how many subdivisions) by
the "resolution" slider.

Blender should keep the original mesh and do the automatic
bevelling on a copy, so that the mesh is not 'corrupted'
(because i would personally consider a mesh with perfect
edges "cleaner" and easier to work with).

Well, I think you get the idea :)

Thoughts? Does anyone have enough knowledge of the math
and code parts involved to do this? I certainly don't.

Greetings