[Bf-funboard] Particles system rewrite?

Ton Roosendaal bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:35:23 +0200

Hi,

> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 1. Vortexes
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 2. Jitter value for almost every value
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 3. Key framing for all values
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 4. The amount of particles be based on a "flow" =
value,
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 5. Uniform distribution of particles
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 6. Gravitons, Fans, etc.

A nice listing!
Most of these features *could* be implemented within the context of the =20=

current code, with some major and some minor changes. But such =20
decisions are not really relevant, more important is who'll do it. If =20=

we can get a motivated person or team maintaining this part of Blender, =20=

a complete rewrite might give them a much better control over the code =20=

and features anyway... the best code still is the code you write =20
yourself, right!? :)

The current system was initiatally written in just a couple of days, =20
and later on extended with new features (like 'static' particles for =20
hair). I am not too happy with it either, especially its relationship & =20=

integration with the rest of Blender lacks some depth.

There's also the important topic of memory consumption, and having a =20
system that can be evaluation at any timeframe (as opposed to needing =20=

to do it in forward timesteps). The choice for keypositions in Blender =20=

particles is based on that.
And - not to forget - finding a way to have it all more realtime & =20
interactive, both to serve it as a tool, as for playback in realtime 3d.

For me the most relevant part of the discussion is getting a decent =20
design doc, describing the way it integrates in Blender (database, =20
objects, python, constraints) and the functionality & interface at user =20=

level. I am more than willing to assist & advise on this, and help =20
doing some icky parts of the coding related to lowlevel Blender stuff =20=

(extending DNA data, file read/write) if needed.
Looks like at least 2 people (Martin & Timothy) are interested to work =20=

on this; what were your ideas for how to attack this topic? I can open =20=

a new discussion forum at the funboard project site?  It can also be =20
done like many blender features have been developed in the past, with a =20=

few major concepts in mind just start coding, and forward itterating it =20=

towards a useful system. But that's more something to use Tuhopuu for...

-Ton-

--
Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton@blender.org =20
http://www.blender.org