[Bf-education] IllusionImage: Truth in advertising

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 19:40:33 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Edwin Pilobello <e_pilobello at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Found IllusionImage advertised on facebook sidebar.  It's obviously Blender
> 2.49
>
> So I studied the ad for what it's worth.  It says "2 hours to render"
> stunning 3D images (in bold letters).  Sounds more than feasible!  I can
> demonstrate that in class, given the blend file, in less than 10 mintues
> while explaining every step along the way.  In fact, I do it all the time.
> "Begin with the end in mind", eh?
>
> Of course, I'd never ever put this kind of deceptiveness in describing a 6
> credit "Intro to 3D Modelling and Animation" class.  Although, maybe I ought
> to print out the IllusionImage ad and post it right next to a description
> for my "Intro to 3D Modeling and Animation" course.  Perhaps, I could use
> the side-by-side comparison as an expose'.
>
> What do you think?  Should I create a poster with the IllusionImage ad and
> banner it with "As seen on Facebook"  "Get the real scoop!", then point to
> my course description?

What is IllusionImage? A class or a product? I always think back to
the time that IBM put everyone else almost out of business by
marketing their computer as (Can't Do Games! Because This is a SERIOUS
computer) The truth being that they could not do games because their
computer lacked the basic power to even come close to the competition.
In other words, it is all in the marketing and reality sadly has very
little to do with it.

I say, learn from their marketing and copy and improve (extend) and
then deliver a better product thus getting great word of mouth too.
--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!

Massage in Gelsenkirchen-Buer: