[Bf-education] Bf-education Digest, Vol 72, Issue 3 The Blender 3D Cookbook is now > available

Ira Krakow ira.krakow at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 10:01:49 CEST 2011

Michel,

The royalty varies by country, ranging from $0.25 to $0.45.  As far as
selling through my Web site, unfortunately my Web site doesn't have the
reach of Amazon's or Apple's bookstores.  Paypal also takes a cut, so I
wouldn't get the full 99 cents even in that case.  EBay sellers complain a
lot about that.  Amazon offers a 70% royalty if the posted price is $2.99 or
more.  Unfortunately,  this raises another issue, namely that the customer
typically expects free content.  Even paying $0.99 is sometimes a barrier.
I found that the range that works best is $0.99 to $2.99.

Actually for a Blender book, since the audience is more specialized, it
probably would be possible to raise the price, and indeed I have sold some
Blender ebooks for as much as $15.  The problem there is that my content is
a bit dated and I didn't feel it was fair to the customer to charge that
much.  My tutorials are based on a mix of 2.49b and 2.5.  So I'd rather
charge a lower price, and get more sales, than charge a higher price and
restrict my sales.  Here's the link to the Cookbook on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Blender-3D-Cookbook-ebook/dp/B0056N73B0/

If you scroll down, you should see that it's in the Top 100 in both the 3D
Graphics and Web Graphics categories.

I've published other eBooks, such as:

The United States Constitution (annotated), at:
www.amazon.com/Annotated-United-States-Constitution-ebook/dp/B0056TJRTU/

A Christmas Carol (annotated and illustrated), by Charles Dickens at:
http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Carol-Illustrated-Annotated-ebook/dp/B005NS2KB6/

and

Steve Jobs' 2005 Stanford Commencement Speech at:
http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Stanford-Commencement-Address-ebook/dp/B005TVL1I0/

for $0.99, with good results.  With Amazon, each sale increases my ranking
in the Top 100 lists they maintain, which helps sales as well.  The low
price (I like the $0.99 price for the Steve Jobs speech, since that's the
cost of an iPod song) helps here as well because the list is based on number
of units (mostly - reviews count as well).

Ira