[Bf-education] Using LCD Projectors in teaching

Edwin Pilobello e_pilobello at yahoo.com
Fri May 21 23:06:03 CEST 2010

  1. Re: LCD Projectors and wide monitors (Roger Wickes)
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 05:40:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Roger Wickes <rogerwickes at yahoo.com>

this is where pixel ratio comes in and why we have it.
When you figure it out, the wiki tutorials page could use a new addition with what you have found out!
--Roger

I conduct Blender classes in at least 4 locations (3 university/college, 1 high school).  The university campuses seem to have matched instructor monitors and LCD projectors.  What one sees on the monitor screen is what students see on the projection screen.  At Portland State, the projection screen is quite large (about 80"x60", 100" diagonal).  It really helps the students in the back of the room to better see Blender button panel/options.

At the high school, we have a portable setup.  I check out the LCD Projector every morning from a secured cabinet and set it up in the classroom.  I also project onto a Smartboard(r) [600 series, 64" diagonal] touchscreen.

I use the Smartboard for other classes, but not for Blender.  Standing in front of the students and mousing with one's hands has many advantages.  But Blender's OHOTKOHOTM interface is difficult, if not impossible, to implement on Smartboard.

It's at the high school that I am having challenges.  The old LCD Projector has two ratio settings, 4:3 and 16:9.  The teaching station has a monitor set to 1152x864, a 4:3 ratio.  Unfortunately, something is lost in the translation from 1152x864 to (what I believe) the LCD projector's 800x600 resolution.  The high school ought to acquire a new LCD projector capable of 1152x864 (or the lesser 1024x768).  But with budget cuts, that is not forthcoming.