[Bf-education] Blender and Sketchup for Elementary School

Edwin Pilobello e_pilobello at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 7 14:13:28 CET 2010

SketchUp is taught in a lot of elementary schools nowadays.  It helps fill the
pipeline for "advanced" Blender classes.

I'm not sure how SketchUp is taught. I imagine there's some curriculum guide out
there proclaiming its virtues. I've dabbled in it enough to appreciate its
strenghts.  What I do know is that kids who come from SketchUp frown when they
have to 1). choose vertex, edge or face mode 2). switch between object and edit
3). use boolean to cut a hole in something.  They tend to choose SketchUp over
Blender to do their modeling, then convert to Blender to texture, light and
render.

Can't say I can blame them!  In fact, I wish I was young and still had the
smarts to write a SketchUp to Blender converter overnight.