[Bf-education] Fun ways to teach Blender 3D

Roger Wickes rogerwickes at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 11 14:18:14 CET 2009

To teach the 3D window, put a cube on a desk. Give them a cutout frame
and have them walk around the desk, looking through the frame. Have
them find the spot that gives them an isometric view of the cube, and then
 find the side front top views.

For armatures and mesh deform, use a dowel inside a cardboard tube like from a toilet paper
roll (put some t.p., or cotton inside or tape the tube to the dowel, leaving part of
the dowel out for them to hold onto. The toilet paper or cotton or tape will hold the tube snug to
the dowel. Have them use two of these to make a stiff walk action. You've taught
bones, mesh deform, and FK.

Then have work in pairs with a two-bone set, where the two dowels
are connected by a paperclip or string (drill small holes thru the dowel ends).
Put a toilet roll on each, and repeat the walk cycle exercise now with joints.
When they instinctively grab the ends of the dowel for the feet placement (while
one holds the hips), you've just taught IK.

Sent by Roger Wickes for intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and contact Mr. Wickes immediately.