[Bf-education] How to import a fluid dynamics file into Blender?

Kernon Dillon kernond at gmail.com
Tue May 19 17:58:26 CEST 2009

I'm not familiar with exactly what you may need, but I would suggest that a
good starting point would be to make a list of the export options that
Tecplot offers and then look at the import options available in Blender and
try to find some common ground. It will probably involve some trial and
error so using a small test file might speed things up while trying to find
the best export/import combination.

Here are some additional import scripts that may offer some additional
options not available within Blender. I would recommend trying the import
features in Blender before trying any of these scripts.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:Py/Scripts/Catalog#Import

How to install python scripts:
http://www.alienhelpdesk.com/using_python_scripts

Hope that helps,
Kernon

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 11:31 AM, sanaz arabzadeh
<sanazarabzadeh at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m totally new to Blender with a background in mechanical engineering and
> would really appreciate if someone could answer my question or tell me what
> to look up and give me a bit of nudge in the right direction.
>
> I’m looking for some help to import my simulation files to Blender. I’ve
> done some fluid dynamics numerical simulations with a CFD code (the code
> models the breakup of liquid jets into sprays by solving the liquid flow
> Navier-Stokes equations in combination with a volume fraction method which
> tracks the free surface — the boundary between liquid and air).
>
> The output files contain fluid information such as volume fraction function
> for each computational cell. I can import my data files in Tecplot<http://www.tecplot.com/>to plot the iso-surfaces but I’m looking for a way to use Blender as a
> post-processor for my numerical simulations, due to powerful graphical
> features that Blender has. I’m wondering if there is any script to import
> the liquid volume fraction iso-surfaces to Blender.
> Any suggestion is highly appreciated.
>
> Best
> Sanaz

Kernon Dillon