[Bf-education] Blender Education.

Jim Hoffman jhoffman at sasktel.net
Thu Oct 9 17:10:53 CEST 2008

I teach at a high school in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.  I started using Blender  four years ago.  My course has focused on instruction through the use of tutorials that had been up loaded on to the web by various individuals.  I selected tutorials that were difficulty appropriate and developmentally appropriate.  A lot of class time was spent in the area of rendering, lighting, modeling.  The last part of the course was directed towards animation.  I have used the materials that were available to put together a Blender component on my website.  The web address is http://schools.spsd.sk.ca/mountroyal/Hoffman/index.htm.

I do not have any formal education background in 2D or 3d animation.  I introduced these programs to give my students a unique experience while in high school and provide them with an opportunity to explore another career possibility.  It was through the work of others and their development of both Flash and Blender tutorials that I was able to development a base of experience in teaching these classes to my students.  I can never say thank you enough for the work of others.

I appreciate that Blender users are developing video tutorials and I would love to use these but some of our IT policies do not permit students access to You Tube.  For developers I woould recommend that if videos are available make them available for download and storage on a school computer network

Jim Hoffman
Math and Animation Teacher
Mount Royal Collegiate
1-306-683-7800