[Bf-education] Migrating from 3D Studio Max to Blender, at what cost?

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sat Aug 2 13:41:15 CEST 2008

Hi Timothy,

Recently a medium-small animation studio in Sydney made the move from
3dmax to Blender too:
http://www.promotionstudios.com/
I wanted to invite them since long to tell us their experience, their
pros and cons. You can find them on cgtalk forums btw (Matt Ebb).

Blender has strong parts and weak parts and parts in development, and
it's not always clear for users which parts that applies to. That can
make learning Blender frustrating. Getting help from an experenced
artist (get them over for a week or so) will make an enormous
difference. Post such a call on blenderartists.org?

The things 3DMax users will probably miss most:
- construction history editing
- customizable hotkeys and macros
- tight integration with other Autodesk tools
- MS Windows widget/ui compliancy

The first two are being tackled in blender 2.50 (3-6 months from now?).
Better file import from Autocad is in development, but a frustratingly
nasty job. The latter is something they have to give up... Blender is
cross platform, and we cannot (will not) adopt dependencies on OS's or
platform dependent widgets. Advantage is of course that they will be
able to use cool Macs or Linux stations. :)

For modeling buildings and environments Blender works very well,
including managing complexity (we got decent data-referencing,
including entire scenes from other files).

Automating the rendering process is very easy, but requires someone
with system level knowledge (like unix shell, python scripting or so).
Having happy customers (fast render times, advanced database design,
allow easy last minute tweaks) is one of the cornerstones Blender was
built on! :)

Lastly, I'm not sure how big your studio is, but I wouldn't expect to
get immediately a lot of financial benefits from a move. Don't switch
to Blender to reduce costs, but switch to Blender to become better
scalable and get more control over the pipeline. A switch allows you to
invest in a render farm, hire more artists, or part-timers who work
from home, and so on.
Also consider to hire more technical staff, like scripters or C/C++
developers.

-Ton-