[Bf-docboard] Other projects wiki/sphinx migration

Cheng-Chia Tseng pswo10680 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 10:25:51 CET 2016

Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> 於 2016年2月20日 週六 上午2:10寫道:

> Recently I found this article about 2 other projects migrating from a
> Wiki to Sphinx [0] for very similar reasons to us.
>
> These are quite technical projects, and some of the pain-points we ran
> into (build times and having to write our own tools in some cases)
> aren't mentioned.
> Nevertheless, interesting to see how other projects handle this.
>
> [0]: https://opensource.com/business/16/1/scale-14x-interview-dru-lavigne

As a translator, I would like to endorse the ability of Sphinx to create po
file to do multilingual support. Wiki systems are hard to achieve that. The
most resources are in English, and the official content is English too. In
order to spread more widely and lower the boundaries for local newcomers,
translations are a key way to make blender globally. In all, we do need
translations for blender manual.

In the past, translators have to track English pages for changes and update
the translations accordingly. Most end giving up because the diff work is
tiring. Although there is a translatewiki.net translate extension, I hardly
find other FLOSS projects using this technology. I am not sure if it
actually works or not.

Anyway, in my own opinion, I strongly suggest finding some ways for
translators to work on easier, no matter what the platform is.