[Bf-docboard] My Contribution to the Blender User Manual

Ethos Erlanger ethos.erlanger at comcast.net
Sat Sep 12 00:16:04 CEST 2015

I am a new Blender user, not a developer. And the feeling I get is that
providing input to the developers sure should be a little easier than it is.
Even Blender Guru seems to feel it necessary to post a two part video about
the user interface, or "Usability of Blender." He even came to the
conference to speak. I just want to ask for a couple of small improvements.

I want to contribute in some small way even if it is by editing the user
manual. And the installation and my first use of Python was daunting - even
scary. I have used DOS, but I still have not gotten the user manual in a
place where I think I might be able to edit it.

Why do I not find a simple and direct way for users to post their ideas for
program enhancements? What if I find that the way the program works is not
what I expect. Yes it works the way it is written and does not crash. Am I
to report it as a bug just to get the attention of a developer for what is
really an enhancement request? What is the BEST way to ask for a refinement
in either the Blender program, or an addition or expansion to the user
manual documentation? I felt like I had to join a club just to speak to the
developers. It is a strange feeling indeed.