[Bf-docboard] Documentation status and upgrade proposal

koil . dd4567 at hotmail.co.uk
Thu May 8 03:48:25 CEST 2014

The proposal I guess is to:
1: Change the webpage and format to rst.
2: Also to transform the content into a different style, I presume.

I agree with 1. So Ill try talk about 2.

To give a good opinion on 2. first I would have to review the pages on the proposed webpage, learn the content.
Then I would have to try imagine or try transform other parts of the blender manual.
Only then I can give a valid opinion.

If the developers want to change the type of content added to the manual, I would like to see how this goes.
Im still yet to learn how the new content is ordered and written.

I like the idear of Bug Report/Todo, I think this is better than old reviews that are hard to maintain on media wiki, and dont often get updated.
If users can say something is wrong with the wiki, its easier then for someone to add a todo, then its easier for someone to propose a fix.

If there are less types of content, like UI Reference, Menu Reference, Editing Reference.
I think that will be better, less to write which is already known, and less to translate.
And also people can spend more time writing better content for Intros and Elements.

I havnt seen much Editing or Workflow yet in the new content, but Cycles Rendering is more about Elements than Editing or Workflow.
Though I havnt really read much of it yet.

For example, how would new content style apply to Animation or Rigging.
If its just Elements, I guess it would be well presented examples, of what each part of the system is used for.
Shape Keys, Pose Lib, Inverse Kinematics, etcetera.

The wiki manual is good fun, but I feel likes its a dead system sometimes.
Maybe it will be good reference for what to add to the new manual.

If the above is true about the content, its a bit depressing but, probably for the best.
There any many tutorials online, so a complete intro to blender manual will probably be better than broken mix of things.

Koilz.