[Bf-docboard] Documentation status and upgrade proposal

Noel Stoutenburg brasshat at core.com
Wed May 7 00:34:26 CEST 2014

koil:

I've reviewed the ideas posted on this topic, and given the matter a
good deal of thought. My reaction is mixed. In theory, I woudn't have
any problem with porting the User Manual for Blender to the Sphinx
platform, (or some other one, if it be deemed reasonable and proper to
do so). However, since Blender is open source, and community developed,
I think it that it is imperative that there be mechanism for maintaining
user development of the documentation, too. And, unless I totally
misunderstand the new platform (and that's not an outlandish
possibility), moving the whole manual to the proposed new platform is
going to reduce the contributions to the documentation by members of the
community by a couple of orders of magnitude, and unless there is a
sizeable cohort of documentation waiting in the wings, I'm loathe to
disenfranchise a significant number of contributors to the documentation.

I would therefore propose that the WIKI should be treated as a
development place, or, to use a literary metaphor, the "first couple of
drafts" where the various parts of the documentation are, fleshed out
and brought to a certain editorial standard. When the pages have reached
that point, they could then be ported to the final cut version, and
ported to the new platform.

If the new proposal breaks, or makes it significantly harder for users
to contribute to the knowledge base, I'm opposed. If the new platform
can be implemented in a way which the ability of users to contribute
persists, I stand in favor.

Noel Stoutenburg.
Sometime WIKI contributor, under the username "brasshat".