[Bf-docboard] Update on Wiki to RestructuredText conversion

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 10:35:02 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 5:47 PM, marco ardito <ardito at apiform.to.it> wrote:
> Hi, campbell,
>
> nice clean look! but... a TOC should be, well, a TOC, not a full index! :)
> look at the TOC page source. Something like that, with links... :) but
> that will be tuned later, I'm sure.

Yep, this needs cleaning up, basic structure is there but need to
change how top-level categories show.

Attempting to do this automatic isnt that valuable IMHO, once we do
final conversion re-arranging TOC isn't so hard.

> about the look, it's clean but it needs some tweaking. Great job, anyway
> for an automatic conversion!
>
> I'm doing a wiki > pdf conversion since a while, updated each month. atm
> I stopped to see how the sphinx-doc trial went on, hoping that soon the
> old pdf could be no more needed!! great! converting the wiki in pdf is
> fun but also a pain :)

With sphinx we can provide the HTML as a downloadable archive, IMHO
this is more usable then the PDF,
I generated a PDF for our sphinx python reference for a while but it
wasnt that great, I removed and dont think anyone noticed.

> Do you have any pdf conversion test?

I did do one, but cant recall if I uploaded- It does an OK job, but
image layout sometimes doesn't look right.

Heres sphinx generated PDF, though there aren't any images.
http://www.blender.org/documentation/blender_python_api_2_59_0/blender_python_reference_2_59_0.pdf

To summarize we can have PDF book if we want, but I always found the
output inferior to the HTML docs.

> Thanks, Marco
>
> Il 02/07/2014 23:29, Campbell Barton ha scritto:
>> Hi, quick update on the progress migrating the wiki,

> [Ai sensi e per  gli  effetti della Legge sulla tutela della privacy
> (L. 196/2003), questa  mail  è destinata unicamente alle persone sopra
> indicate e le informazioni in essa contenute sono da considerarsi
> strettamente riservate. E' proibito leggere, copiare, usare o
> diffondere il contenuto della presente mail senza autorizzazione.
> Se avete ricevuto questo messaggio per errore, siete pregati di
> rispedire la stessa al mittente. Grazie]

- Campbell