[Bf-docboard] Reset 3D View plugin

reiner.prokein reiner.prokein at posteo.de
Tue Feb 18 14:17:03 CET 2014

Hello,

I am completely new to creating Blender plugins and the whole process
around it. So sorry when i make some mistakes.

I've created a small plugin for Blender called Reset 3D View. It is very
small but very useful for me. It basically resets all open 3D view
windows back to a default view. The special cases Top, Left, etc. gets
treated a bit different than the perspectivic view here. In this kind of
views it resets just the zoom, and doesn't rotate the camera back. Means
you stay in Top view when you perform the plugin in Top view. This reset
view feature is something that i miss in Blender since a long time. I
use the same feature since eons in trueSpace. And i use it often, it's
really handy. So i have finally created a plugin for it.

My next step was to create a page at the Blender Wiki. That's where i
still struggle with. I still fear to break something, the descriptions
are not this clear to me. I have now created a page in the My Talk
section of my account, which is hopefully right. The description of the
Wikipage says i have to include a link to the page when i mail at the
mailing list. So here it is:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User_talk:Tiles

I have a few questions now.
First question is of course if i have made everything correct. Did i? Is
the content okay the way it is? Or is there more information needed?
Am i allowed to use the Apache license instead of the GPL? I heavily
dislike GPL. I always fear to lock myself out from using my own code. I
would even prefer to use a MIT license. But i cannot find any
information if MIT is compatible with GPL. Apache is. So i have chosen
Apache for now.
What about hosting the plugin? Currently i host the plugin at my own
webspace. Which has some issues at the moment. The server stutters.
Should i create a thread at Blender Artists for support issues? Or is my
email adress enough?

And finally, what is the way to include the plugin into Blender? Is
there even a chance? I know that the plugin is very small. But i think
that it makes Blender a bit better :)

Kind regards

Reiner 'Tiles' Prokein