[Bf-docboard] About a new PDF version of the wiki

marco ardito ardito at apiform.to.it
Tue Sep 10 14:43:39 CEST 2013

Hi all,

in the past (2.4x) I already did a Blender wiki > PDF conversion, hosted
on archive.org, but also linked by the official wiki manual pages, see
top of this page: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.4/Manual

The whole process is basically:
1) download everything needed (wiki pages, images)
2) adapt downloaded html
3) convert adapted html to a single pdf

To be honest in this version the result was not very good (one for all:
no unicode support => lots of encoding quirks!) mainly because step 3
was based on HTMLdoc
(see
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta:Tools/Wiki_conversions/Wiki_to_PDF/HTMLDoc)

Then came the 2.5x days, and the wiki content was completely revamped
because nearly everything changed in Blender UI and features, but then
also the wiki style and features were completely revamped as it is now,
so I decided to wait.

A few months ago, since the English wiki seemed quite complete and
stable again, I looked for some way to improve the old conversion
process and I found a new method for step 3, based on wkhtmlpdf. The
results are quite good, still not perfect but definitely better!
You can see the last two versions here:
https://archive.org/details/BlenderWikiPDFManual

Do any bf-docboard "manager" feel it could be worth to include any info
about this downloadable PDF anywhere on the 2.6x wiki, as it was (and
still is) for 2.4x? I could take care of maintaining this, in the wiki,
as I did in the past.

I already posted news about this new PDF in BA forums but I still feel
the most logical place is just near its source, the wiki itself, of
course. As said, it is now hosted on archive.org, but I could upload
this PDF elsewhere, even on Blender.org servers, if needed.

About publishing the conversion script, quite simple but still rough, is
nothing too complicated for any basic php coder, but I'm concerned that
it could be somehow dangerous to make it (too) easy for anyone to
download the whole wiki content (images ant text): too many people using
it could cause very high load on wiki servers, I fear: I don't want to
harm Blender servers (for latest release I downloaded around 640 wiki
pages and nearly 100 MB of images).

--
*Marco*

[Ai sensi e per  gli  effetti della Legge sulla tutela della privacy
(L. 196/2003), questa  mail  è destinata unicamente alle persone sopra
indicate e le informazioni in essa contenute sono da considerarsi
strettamente riservate. E' proibito leggere, copiare, usare o
diffondere il contenuto della presente mail senza autorizzazione.
Se avete ricevuto questo messaggio per errore, siete pregati di
rispedire la stessa al mittente. Grazie]