[Bf-docboard] VSE review

Raindrops From Sky raindrops.fromsky at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 09:33:33 CEST 2013

Much better and detailed than the original!

Here are some suggestions:

*******
Define the key terms somewhere: especially terms like "image sequence" or
"container" may not be familiar to the user.
A befuddled reader will still try to read the wiki, but gets more and more
confused without proper foundation.
*****
In general, each section should have a screenshot to illustrate the idea
visually.
e.g. Histogram, effects, etc.

In fact, the effects page calls for animated images: If one picture is
worth thousand words, one ANIMATED picture is worth 100 times that!

****
Can you merge "overview of VSE" and "Default Sequencer screen layout"?
To me they don't sound much different!
****
In the "Adding and modifying Effect" page, the theory sounds vague, as
there are no screenshots.
Just run two examples from start to finish.
* In the first example take only one source (e.g. fade-in)
* In the second example take two sources (e.g. fade-over).

Please add screenshots.
*****
In the "Effects list" page, there is a remark: "(Note: Transform does not
work in Blender 2.49)".
This is not needed, because the wiki has its own sections for all major
versions, which are directly accessible.

*****
In place of "Adjusting the Sequencer View", a better heading is "moving
around in the VSE window".
Then change the sub-headings like this:
** Moving around in Sequence area
** Moving around in timeline (scrubbing)

The other two topics actually belong to other pages (not this page):
** View settings-> move to overview page; rename it to "Switching between
different view modes" and show screenshots
** Refreshing the VSE contents -> move to Strips section, and rename
"Updating the content of strips"

*****
In place of "Modifying and Animating strips", a better heading is "Editing
and deleting strips".
This title complements the previous one (after adding strips, what can you
do with them?)
(You cannot "animate" a strip)

On the same page, you have mentioned that X/DEL will "Erase" the strip.
Change that to "Delete" the strip.
Also add that while the strip is removed from the VSE, its source is not
affected.
****
In the "Luma waveform" section, this paragraph-
"...There are as many curves as scanlines in the frame: each one of this
curves represents the luminosity of the pixels of one line."
-may not be accurate:

I would suggest this description instead:
The x-axis of this graph matches with the x-axis of the frame.
Just imagine that the view is cut into thin vertical strips, and the
brightness values of all points on that strip are measured and plotted on
the same x value of the graph.

So, from the graph, we observe that-
(1) Throughout the width of the image, the sky represents its brightest
parts. The graph shows a corresponding cloud of points along its width.
(2)  The mountain has darkest areas, which are shown in the graph.
(3) Note that the mountains are darker at left, and the sea at right is
much lighter.
     This pattern can be seen in the graph as well.

The main use of this graph is to inspect the brightness and contrast levels
in the image; and adjust them.
In some case only a certain part of the picture needs adjustment, which may
call for selective masking (see node editor).

********

Regards,
Narayan