[Bf-docboard] Wiki Documentation License

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Aug 29 17:56:25 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I hardly ever check it, and I don't think many people really did. But it's good to have this issue well sorted out, especially when others want to use the content here.

The status now:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderWiki:Copyrights

Which leads to:
http://opencontent.org/opl.shtml

The license is available in two versions, both confusingly named OPL. The newer one:
http://opencontent.org/openpub/

The original OPL has been marked by FSF as "non free", due to the commercial restrictions worded it in it. Probably this line:

"You may not charge a fee for the sole service of providing access to and/or use of the OC via
a network".

The new OPL has been defined FSF as 'free license' and 'copyleft', they just don't recommond it.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#OpenPublicationL

Within the spirit of Blender's project here (GNU GPL copyleft), I think the 2nd version of OPL aligns with how Blender coders would need to handle their contributions. We could even consider (because of the link to this opencontent site) that both licenses are valid?

I'd like to first see some feedback from others about it here though.

Regards,

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute