[Bf-docboard] blender wiki at Amsterdam Conference

Jim Tucker jim.tucker at live.co.uk
Tue Oct 23 19:48:53 CEST 2012

Hi All,
At the 10th Amsterdam Blender Conference this week,  we  called an informal lunch-time meeting to discuss
 the Blender Manual wiki.

Some discussion is going on in the wiki admin team, as important technical decisions
have to be taken in order to keep the wiki up to date with less effort that it’s needed now. Hopefully within a
 couple of weeks the situation will be clearer. The changes that need to be operated in the backend will most
probably have no direct impact on current frontend/content wiki work of course.

It is recognised that the wiki is a valuable and widely-used resource, and that a huge amount of effort has been, and still is,
being put into the major changes needed following the 2.4 to 2.5 system change.  But it still needs a lot
of work to get it to a fully-completed state, and until recently progress has been slow.  We hope that
upcoming changes (new  Writer Guide, etc.) will increase the flow.  A call was made for volunteers
to help with this effort. Unfortunately this received very few replies; but F. Siddi offered to put a
call out on Blender Nation (which reaches some 2500 readers rather than the 200 Conference delegates) when
Kesten is ready to start the next sprint.

I think our efforts were under-represented at this Conference. I would like to suggest  that for the next Conference
there should be a proper report  on the state of the Blender Manual, with a discussion of its merits, demerits and problems,
and thanks to all the volunteer  writers/reviewers for their work.

Jim Tucker (sculptorjim)
Francesco Siddi (fsiddi)