[Bf-docboard] Bf-docboard Digest, Vol 92, Issue 1

Lockal S lockalsash at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 22:03:25 CEST 2012

Hi everyone.
Let me explain few thing I know about MediaWiki & BlenderWiki. To
begin with, it was me who reported about BlenderWiki software state
few days ago. As http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Special:Version
says, 1.16.2 is installed (~1.5 years ago), and current version is
1.19.2. During this time there were many security fixes, but I can't
see any critical problems like SQL injections or code execution.
BlenderWiki is affected by few XSS and CSRF problems, but those could
be used only for direct attack, which is unlikely to happen.

There are still some good reasons to keep MediaWiki up-to-date. The
first one is that in case of critical security issues upgrade between
1.19.2 and 1.19.3 would go much smoother. The second reason is that
different versions have different features and upgrade could make
reason is that new versions of MediaWiki allow some good extensions,
like http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Translate . I won't
describe this extension here, just go to this link and see it
yourself. Great gift for BlenderWiki translators!

Finally, there are many custom or modified extensions in BlenderWiki.
Some of them, like BlenderTags could be easily upgraded with minimal
changes. Naiad theme could be rewritten (probably with support of
ResourceLoader). There are few good tutorials for theming with modern
versions of MediaWiki and basic template structure is the same. The
worst thing are modified DynamicPageList and condcache extensions.
These extensions require pretty deep knowledge of MediaWiki internals.
I wonder if it is possible to get rid of condcache and use
allowcachedresults DPL param instead.

 - S. L.