[Bf-docboard] Do we need a Blender Manual?

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Dec 10 15:00:14 CET 2012

Hi all,

The 2.49 -> 2.5x migration was essential, but very disruptive for our documentation indeed.

Since 2.50 we've keept most of the UI and features compatible though, and that's not going to change for all 2.6x versions either. Also plans for 2.7x and later are not going to change Blender as much as we had for 2.5.

For that reason, a first simplication of wiki would be to tag all docs as either "current" or "outdated". Best would be even to remove all old docs to special section, outside of standard search options. That would also immediately show where the big gaps in our docs are. The introduction of separate 2.5 and 2.6 tagged docs is confusing.

Next to that: the developers already know for many years that we DO NOT accept new features without good end-user documentation (even when written somewhat technical, for experienced users in release logs). Features should also accompany with standard demo and test files for everyone.

Obviously this rule is being violated all the time. You guys can help us by immediately shouting and complaining when it happens, then I'll do my best to get this solved :)

Next to that: for bigger features I always try to connect developers with users/writers, people who make nice tutorial videos and who can write as well. (Nicked "coder buddies"). This isn't easy - and maybe I should just put such requests on this list too?

Immediate needs for coder buddies:
- Sergej Reich, bullet physics integration
- Tamito, freestyle

In retrospective, if someone lists me new features added past year without a decent document, I'll contact the developers about that as well.

Greetings,

-Ton-