[Bf-docboard] Blender Proceedings

Raindrops From Sky raindrops.fromsky at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 05:29:19 CET 2010

Hi Roger!

No ill-will this side! And I hope Luca also takes this discussion in a
community spirit.

*@How to select videos:*
Yes, you nailed it!

In addition, we also need criteria for selecting videos (both for quality
and relevance and coverage vis-a-vis each chapter/topic in the wiki).

Some quality-related criteria could be as follows: (this is not an
exhaustive list)

   - Minimum video resolution (some videos on the net are blurry, or even
   shot with a camera)
   - Presentation style
   - Crisp audio
   - Max size restriction

We also may need to edit the selected videos (e.g. to take out a part that
does not meet our criteria, or to split it to fit the wiki's lesson-plan). *

**@sandbox:*
that's unnecessarily complex.

In the example here <http://www.den4b.com/wiki/Main_Page>, we simply used
the *Discussion *page on wiki to create the entire proposed page (including
the exact layout- Not just the text). Then the critiques added their
comments below. Everyone added ~~~~ at the end of his argument so that
mediawiki adds name+timestamp to identify who wrote what, and when.

Whenever lengthier discussion was needed, we used a BB forum (lengthier
arguments are better handled by a BB page as compared to a wiki's discussion
page).

Finally we altered the article and moved it from discussion page to the main
wiki page.

****

The easiest way is to start with the new TOC, and create all those wiki
pages (each page has its discussion page). Then each volunteer (there are
just 3, mind!) starts with whatever he likes (the areas may be split using
BB forum or this mail list).

I have found that there is nothing wrong if we write on the main page itself
(a wiki page is not sacred).
But if there is total uncertainty, by all means start with the discussion
page.

*@Videos:*
Although BF has a channel, the videos are not organized vis-a-vis wiki.
I had provided the two examples for that reason alone.

This link <http://nptel.iitm.ac.in/> shows how EIGHT premier engineering
institutes (spread over India) are collaborating.
There are 136 engineering courses, each course covered in about 40 one-hour
videos.
The supporting pdfs (syllabus+handouts) are hosted at the institutes own
site.

In other words, while the NPTEL channel hosts the videos, the individual
institutes provide the course framework.

I am proposing a similar wiki-to-video correlation.

Of course the same video can be embedded as against linking. But that takes
up real estate in the page.
This is matter of choosing a layout. In fact, we can easily switch from one
approach to another.