[Bf-docboard] Blender books -> official reference

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Mar 7 18:03:57 CET 2010

Hi all,

And let's not forget the game engine :)

I'm playing with the idea to format it "proceeding" or "journal"
sized, which can be part full color even. Every volume can be like
100-150 pages, like a magazine. That also allows a design style that
makes more efficient use of page-estate.

Formatting it this way also prevents it to get too much "book
value" (I hardly ever throw books away, but magazines and journals I
don't mind to recycle much). It can even get a very distinct time
stamp, and get a title that suggests this temporary status precisely.

Title: User Interface
Subtitle: Blender Reference, june 2010

Title: Modeling, Texturing and Modifiers
Subtitle: Blender Reference, oct 2010

Title: Rigging
Subtitle: Blender Reference, dec 2010

That format has a nice flexibility. We never have to assume it's
complete or final, it can replace previous volumes, or overlap. It can
be very specialized, or more generic. It just represents a frozen
moment in time, so it can have cool artwork, copies of recent
tutorials, etc.

And best of it, it's a nice target for authors to work towards to!

-Ton-