[Bf-docboard] Blender books -> official reference

Ira Krakow ira.krakow at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 18:04:46 CET 2010

Hi Ton, Jason, and fellow colleagues,

Ton, I totally agree with your proposal for a series of references based on
logical, separated features.  It's far superior to a huge, telephone book
size book, which would be expensive in terms of both time and money and
would be out of date as soon as it was published.  And Jason, I agree with
your proposal that the division be based on task and discipline rather than
user skill.  We can always refer the user to other sources, printed or
online, to fill in knowledge gaps.

In thinking about this some more, I'd like us to consider the following:

1)  What value added would these reference books have?  Jason, if we assume
that the user already understands the basic principles and only wants to
find out what a particular button does without having to experiment, what do
we do now?  We Google it.  Just for fun, in 2.49b, I found a button whose
function I didn't know about (that's easy to do, in my case, since I have
about 6 months of Blender experience): the PrSpeed button in the Anim
settings.  I then Googled blender PrSpeed documentation (without the quotes
because otherwise the whole phrase is needed for a match).  The first two
links gave me the answer right off the bat.  When was the last time you used
a printed reference book instead of Googling it?

We already have excellent online documentation, in the form of the wiki.  It
is organized very closely to the ideas that have been proposed.  Reading the
wiki has helped me tremendously.  Between the wiki and Google, what more
would the reference book(s) provide?

As my personal example, I have over 35 years of computer programming
experience, but I didn't know anything about Python programming until about
2 weeks ago.  Thirty five years ago, learning my first language (COBOL), way
before the Internet, I had to sit with a stack of thick IBM manuals, with a
lot of pulling my hair out, and a lot of trial and error, to get up to
speed.  It took about 9 to 12 months to feel competent enough, as I recall.
With the help of the online Python tutorials, I feel I know the basics.  If
I need to know more, the online API docs, and browsing the Internet if I
have a problem, are sufficient.  I have no need to buy a Python book.  Isn't
that the same situation you're in, with regards to animation or rigging?
In order to get a market, a printed book has to offer something more than
the online sources.

2) Length of book publishing cycle.  From initial concept to printed book,
what with editing, rewriting, figuring out what the cover should look like,
artwork, and production, it takes a long time, possibly as much as a year.
Which leads me to:

3)  Blender version changes.  We have no control, nor do we want to have
such control, over the Blender development process.  New features will be
added, the user interface will be improved, some features will be dropped,
others merged with some other feature (there's a discussion right now going
on about merging Soft Bodies and Cloth simulators on bf-committers).  This
is exactly what should happen.  What changes have occurred in Blender in the
past year?  How would that have affected the authors of the Blender
reference book?

I still think the project is an excellent one.  I just would like us to
consider these issues.  I look forward to contributing to the project's
success, and would be excited to do so.  Just as an aside, in all my years
of working with software, I have never worked with a program so fully
featured and creative as Blender.  More importantly, I have been totally
blown away by the amazing creativity, knowledge, commitment, and willingness
to share, of the Blender community.  And that's not even considering the
price. :)

Best wishes,
Ira

Watch my Blender 3D videos: