[Bf-docboard] Wiki development proposals - meeting report

mindrones mindrones at yahoo.it
Sat Nov 28 23:43:48 CET 2009

Hi,

today we had a meeting at 14 UTC at #blenderwiki, the agenda was:

1. Javascript framework change or update
2. Sidebar collapsing
3. Page table of topic -> floating
4. language selection
5. Navigation tree to see the manual index in all the pages

This the lengthy report, we chatted 2 hours argh.. :)

1. JAVASCRIPT FRAMEWORK SWITCH

  - Jesterking agrees to change from mootools to jquery
    (the only feature using js being the sidebar collapsing)

  - Jesterking has updated the current skin at [1]
    (anyone wanting to propose skin changes please upload to [2])

  - Later fsiddi will propose in [2] a patched skin with jquery,
      with sidebar collaping same as it is now

  - Tonight or tomorrow jesterking should test and eventually change it on wiki.blender.org

2. SIDEBAR COLLAPSING

  - Mindrones proposed to separate the page table of contents (TOC) in the sidebar
      from the collapsible panel, so that we can collapse the log-in panel
      but we keep the TOC

  - Fsiddi should prepare a patch after the switch to jquery and propose it in [2]
      for jesterking to test and upload

  - Fsiddi should eventually add cookies, so that navigating in another wiki page
      remembers the collapsed status

3. FLOATING TOC

  - See http://www.modesta-project.eu/fsiddi/filexchange/blender/02_blenderwiki_floatingtoc.mov.zip
      useful to avoid going at the top of the page to read the page toc

  - Fsiddi will propose the relative patch in [2]

  - Mindrones proposed to make it non float on user preference, with cookies,
      this will be examined after it works ok

4. LANGUAGE SELECTION TEMPLATE

  - Fsiddi will use jquery to re-implement its first test, seen at
      http://www.modesta-project.eu/fsiddi/filexchange/blender/BlenderWiki_nav.mov
      and upload to [2]

  - Mindrones and those having a local mediawiki installation should test it and we see how it goes

5. NAVIGATION TREE IN EVERY PAGE

  - Mindrones proposed to use the "Treeview" extension to see pages as in folders,
      now that we have structure this is finally possible

  - The target is: in every page we should see an index same as [4], Doc:Manual,
      to be able to navigate "from everywhere to everywhere" in the Manual

  - EXAMPLES
      - http://semeb.com/dpldemo/index.php?title=Treeview_extension
      - http://www.organicdesign.co.nz/Server_log (cookie working version!!)

  - FEATURES:
      - it is customizable with css, so can fit in b.org skin

  - OBJECTIONS:
      - not everyone has javascript enabled
      --> we tried to disable JS and [3] just doesn't show the tree,
          which we agreed it's ok (readers just don't see the feature, the page is preserved)

  - PROBLEMS:
      - pagenames can be long
      --> long titles have to be shortened, adding a "..." at the end, with a template or css

  - Plan is to feed this tree with links from Doc:Manual, so when people update Doc:Manual
      the tree in all pages reflect the changes
  - Terryallwork will have a look on dpl to help mindrones with templating

[1] http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/File:BlenderWiki_skin.zip
[2] http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/File:BlenderWiki_skin_proposal.zip
[3] http://semeb.com/dpldemo/index.php?title=Treeview_extension
[4] http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual