[Bf-docboard] wiki refactor notes: Manual/Tutorials: structure, translations, crosslinks, GE

mindrones mindrones at yahoo.it
Mon Mar 9 21:42:54 CET 2009

Hi,

some notes about the schanges

1: STRUCTURE and NAVIGATION
----------------------------

To help navigation, Nathan has setup backlinks,
so that for example in
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Render/Camera/Perspective
up-left you see something similar to
< Doc:Manual | Render | Camera

In order for this to appear, all those pages have to exist, in this case:
Doc:Manual
Doc:Manual/Render
Doc:Manual/Render/Camera

Even if the page isn't needed please create it and add the template:
{{LOP}}

It will add a list of pages under the current one.
Here is an example:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Render/Camera

2: STRUCTURE and TRANSLATIONS
-----------------------------

A translated page should have the same URL of the english manual page,
with the only difference of having the language abbreviation after the namespace.

For example, to see the danish translation of
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Interface/Window_system
you just add "DK/" after Doc: and leave the rest of the link intact, like this:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:DK/Manual/Interface/Window_system

So,
Doc:Manual/Foo/Bar/Baz  --> Doc: + DK/ + Manual/Foo/Bar/Baz

In this way, with a simple template it will be simple to check
if the page has a Danish translation (exists or not).

For these reasons, when you plan to change a page position or when
you create a new one in Manual it would be very useful to communicate
with others:
- as ususal prepare a sandbox page
- discuss with other where to put things
- if you move pages or create new ones let a note for translators
 (in this ML and/or in wiki tasks, Meta:Wiki_Tasks)

3: TRANSLATION PROGRESS BAR
----------------------------

When a page has one of these after "Doc:"
BR/ CZ/ DK/ ES/ FA/ FI/ FR/ IT/ KR/ NL/ PL/ PT/ RU/ SV/ ZH/
it adds the "Inprogress" template, giving you the chance to say
how much of the translation has been done.
Check this page as an example:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:DK/Manual/Interface/Window_system
(see under the navigator)

To update it, at the moment you have to add that value in the
UM/navigator template at the top of the page.
In the example, it is:
{{UM/navigator|2.4x|Manual/PartI/Interface/Keyboard and Mouse|Manual/PartI/Interface/Window_types|20}}

If you don't put anything by default it shows ZERO, so to force people
to put the right value :)

After I'll be finished with the refactor, I'll rewrite the i18n guide.

4: CROSS LINKED INDEX PAGES
-----------------------------
Manual, Tutorials and Theory index pages are cross linked in a new way.
First you had to explicitly set the link to the anchor of the cross linked page.
Now if you add the cross link to Tutorials from Manual "Materials" you just
have to write "xref-page1=Tutorial" in the template and that means,
cross link to Doc:Tutorials#Materials, because it uses the section
name as an anchor and "Doc:Tutorials" as the cross link.

I've put a warning in the page so that this is evident but please
if you change a section name (say from "Materials" to "Shading")
remember to update all the 2 pages (Doc:Manual, Doc:Tutorials, and
Doc:Theory), or crosslink will break.

5: GAME ENGINE HAS BEEN MERGED

As the tile says, no more different section for Game Engine, it creates
a niche and scarse uniformity in the documentation.

Unfortunately it's quite incomplete, so Game Engine people I agree
with Roger, let's try to complete this to have a good base for 2.5 :)

Hope everything is clear, more laters :)

Regards,
Luca

http://www.mindrones.com