[Bf-docboard] Bf-docboard Digest, Vol 51, Issue 15

Roger Wickes rogerwickes at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 30 13:46:52 CEST 2009

hi! I contributed significantly to the materials section, added the examples for diffuse and specular shaders and provided those examples because there were none, and I thought users needed a simple visual way to see the differences that each choice made (trivia note I was making an Apple commercial at the time so I used their shade of blue.) I created a section for each of the shaders because I thought each shader needed to be called out, and I personally was sick of fiddling and wanted a reference guide, some page I could scan and say, ah, that is the look I want, and then see what settings to fiddle with to get that. Mindrones has done a great job of reviewing what I have done and improving it as well.

While I am proud of taking it from nothing to something, I am more than happy to see someone take it to the next level. btw, if you create a discussion page, there is no way for an existing author to be notified of the change, but, if an author subscribes to page changes, they are notified. I have worked on hundreds of wiki pages, and only subscribe to the compositor ones, and of course my user page.

Being very resource constrained, there is always the issue of "do I a) fill holes, b) fix defects/omissions, or c) polish" and my priorities are always 1) fixing defects/errors first, then 2) filling holes, then 3) polishing - which is why not a lot in the wiki is polished. For example, the list of known defects and omissions is on the wiki to-do list page, and that page is out of date (:-(-<

Regarding holes you could drive a truck through, I know that 2.49 includes Texture Nodes, which I think needs warrants more focus/effort than polishing the materials section. However, if Chris wants to start off with and get comfortable with wiki by enhancing materials, go for it. I would instead though, encourage him to recognize the efforts of the texture nodes programmer and write up some good doco on that, since there is none. For new section, please use sandbox; look at the history page of similar pages and invite those authors to review/collaborate.

And please use humor, it really brighten's people's day, and it might be something they remember, even if it isn't gramatically correct (yes, I claim all bad jokes in the wiki).

--PapaSmurf / Roger

Sent by Roger Wickes for intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and contact Mr. Wickes immediately.