[Bf-docboard] wiki refactor: Release Notes

mindrones mindrones at yahoo.it
Mon Apr 6 19:33:27 CEST 2009

Hi,

I've just finished the new Release Notes page:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes

It is based on the same structure of the Manual (and Tutorials, etc), and every page
is about the whole story of a certain tool in Blender.

This should help the reader wanting to read about the evolution of a certain feature
(either a user or a wiki writer have this need often), without to dig into different
pages to look when a certain thing has happened.

Using template has the benefit that we can use a certain page in many places.
For example Render baking template
Template:Release Notes/2.43/Render Baking
is used in Render sectionand in UV textures section.

Using the templates we can also keep the old chronological index
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/Chronological

Terryallwork did the hard job though :)
He moved all the pages under Template: namespace, with same naming as the new structure,
taking care of using 2nd level headings, in order to have titles like "= 2.46 Release ="
followed by content in templates like "== foo bar =="

Those pages are quite a mess, so they would need some work, but I doubt someone will clean
them just before 2.50 :)

In order to write 2.49 release notes, just follow the same convention you see there.

For example, this page
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/Animation/Armatures/Edit_mode
appears to be full of text but indeed it just contains

= 2.40 Release =
{{Template:Release_Notes/2.40/Animation/Armatures/Editing}}

= 2.42 Release =
{{Template:Release Notes/2.42/Animation}}

and the real content is in those 2 template pages.

So to make a new release notes pages for 2.49 you should edit a page like
Template:Release_Notes/2.49/Animation/Armatures/Editing
with 2nd level heading, like

==first paragraph==
foo
==second paragraph==
bar

and then add

= 2.49 Release =
{{Template:Release_Notes/2.49/Animation/Armatures/Editing}}

to Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/Animation/Armatures/Edit_mode

to obtain

= 2.40 Release =
{{Template:Release_Notes/2.40/Animation/Armatures/Editing}}

= 2.42 Release =
{{Template:Release Notes/2.42/Animation}}

= 2.49 Release =
{{Template:Release_Notes/2.49/Animation/Armatures/Editing}}

This will keep things clean.

I'll do a Guideline page as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Luca

http://www.mindrones.com