[Bf-docboard] Wiki overhaul discussion; was Bf-docboard Digest, Vol 44, Issue 4

kamalx kamaleshwar.morjal at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 19:41:30 CEST 2008

Jean Montambeault wrote:
> kamalx a �crit :
>> Roger Wickes wrote:
>>

>>> There ARE three books:
>>> wiki.Blender.org/Manual - descriptive, end-user, elaborate
>>> wiki.Blender.org/Reference - specific, precise, detail
>>> wiki.Blender.org/Tutorials - workflow, start-to-finish, step-by-step
>>> accomplishment-oriented
>>>

>> err.. all the three above urls gave me a 404 error at the time of
>> writing this. (1556 hrs GMT)
>>
>> However, even if, say, for the manual, the three versions do exist,
>> wouldn't it make sense to update a single document
>> with new-coming versions of Blender rather than updating all separate
>> versions. Please consider the idea of mark-up
>> for selective content to be shown as mentioned in my other post. I
>> strongly feel it would improve maintainability.
>>
> I renew my approval.
> Would it allow for easy retrieval of the individual part ?
> It would be nice in case we want to make a PDF available.

I think if a mark-up is capable of allowing retrieval for a selective
category, it would allow for
such selective retrieval for other purposes (like creating PDFs) as
well. However, as i said, i do not
know how to implement the idea with media-wiki yet. The idea struck me
because I did something
on those lines, on a much smaller scale though, using XML and PHP. The
initial one-time work of
setting things up may prove to be a huge task though!