[Bf-docboard] Blender Wiki Skin availability (Wahooney)

kamalx kamaleshwar.morjal at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 16:37:31 CEST 2008

Hi,
please see below for contextual comments and suggestions.

Jean Montambeault wrote:

> kamalx a écrit :
>> Hi list,
>>     I am new to this list and i am interested in working on the
>> current overhauling tasks on the wiki.
>> Please point me to appropriate instructions/steps to be taken.
>> Regards.
>> Kamal
>>
> You have an example of how it is done in this post of last month :
> http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-docboard/2008-August/003224.html

[...snip..]
> For myself I've always felt that the documentation should have many
> parts (books):
> - one for quick reference where an experimented artist could find a
> precise description of the use of every feature ;
> - a manual that would elaborate on the reference to make every sticky
> point clear, give clear examples where needed and cross-reference to
> the rest of the Wiki;

A suggestion here: is it possible to add mark-up to a manual page so as
to include the above two aspects in the same page at the backend, while
the user gets an interface that gives him a choice to surf in the "quick
browse" mode or otherwise "elaborate mode" -- this preference may be
saved temporarily for that browsing session.
The quick browse mode shows only those elements that are marked up for
it and renders a minimal and to-the-point quick-reference page.
And the "elaborate mode" does what it says.

Although I am unaware if something of this sort is already in place or
if not, do you approve of it as a good idea. It might take quite some
time and planning to decide on the mark-up of each page in this case.
Also I am unaware if that would be worth trying with media-wiki as I've
never touched it so far.

> - a collection of tutorials that would go further than the basics, not
> just repeat in an informal way what can already be found in the
> reference or the manual.
> - ideally we would have our own introduction to 3D graphics, animation
> and real-time because not everyone has a mastery of the lingo in use
> among 3D artists. I guess that I am dreaming...
This can be done too. This might give insights even to those who already
have a basic idea and want to know more.

> BTW, the BGE (real-time engine) must have its part in this
> documentation. With Apricot it has proven that it is much, much more
> that just a plugin-to-be : it has the power to put some moves in
> Blender that were unforeseen till lately.
>
> Hopefully, this time, we will get the snow ball rolling for this
> documentation effort that should be considered as a fully fledge
> project, as important as the development itself, since without the
> documentation to interface the devs and the users Blender, as great as
> it is becoming, is much less that it could be.
>
> Jean

Awaiting the list's comments. Lets roll.. and come up with a
documentation that Blender actually deserves :)
Regards
kamal