[Bf-docboard] Authors don't dictate license

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Fri Jun 13 09:47:46 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 4:00 AM, Roger Wickes <rogerwickes at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well, nothing imho, I repeat nothing, that an author posts to the wiki
> should attempt to supercede, infringe on, or endanger the Blender
> Foundation. If an author posts a script that restricts commercial usage, the
> BF is in danger of being party to a lawsuit should that script be downloaded
> and used, in whole or in part, as is or derivatives, for commercial
> purposes.

No, the BF wouldn't be in danger at all - it's the person that
downloads it and uses it for commercial purposes that's the person
breaking the 'contract'. It's got nothing to do with the BF. There's
just as much risk that someone will download a GPL script and use it
against the terms of the GPL, which would also be a similar
predicament.

Matt