[Bf-docboard] Wiki is not to hold commercial or restriced content, imho

Roger Wickes rogerwickes at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 17:10:48 CEST 2008

The issue, I think, is that the Blender Wiki was not intended, and I personally do not want it, to hold our house or distribute commercially licensed software. It goes against the grain of Open Source and exposes us to liability. So, yes, we have to restrict scripts that are posted or linked to or reference to AVOID commercially licensed scripts and software, and only contain content that is open for others to freely download and use. I also want to AVOID the qualified licenses that some people put in, like "free for non-commercial use" - realistically, this is a worthless distraction, because you would have to prove that the script was embedded in some commercial product, then determine if there was any damage, and then sue the vendor...all a bunch of negative crap and not worth the effort, and again, going against the Open Content philosophy. If you can use Blender or a Script to make money, do it!

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Erm. . .not sure if this is technically correct, like I said before the copyright page in the wiki *does* have open content in it.  And by default it should apply to every page in the wiki, unless someone added an exception for scripts.

Joe