[Bf-docboard] Manual Structure project update 2

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Fri Jul 28 16:41:26 CEST 2006

Hi all,

You may remember me posting about a project I've been working on
alongside the BSoD, to improve the information design and structure
of the reference manual. You can probably find previous emails in the
archives.

Anyway, I've *finally* just about finished the enormous task of
updating the various manual pages in the manual to use the consistent
reference information template (http://mediawiki.blender.org/
index.php/User:Broken/ReferenceBoxGuidelines) - there are a couple
that haven't been converted yet, I'm waiting for the next stage of
this project. Im already very happy with the results so far, things
look a lot clearer and nicer.

The next bit remaining in the project in my proposal ( http://
mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Broken/
SummerOfDocs2006Restructure ) is tweaking the higher level structure
of the manual, and splitting off the tutorials into a revamped
tutorial section. I decided to wait until I'd been through all the
manual pages already to do this, since now after reading and editing
just about every page, I have a very good understanding of the state
of the manual, what is missing, and what should be tweaked.

I've given it some thought, referenced the old discussions and have
written a proposed, comprehensive TOC here: http://
mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Broken/ManualTOC . The idea is
to have another tutorials TOC with top level containers that mirror
those in the reference manual, both crosslinked (as you can see in my
page). This keeps the reference manual clean and focused, but also
allows nice cross-referencing. Notable differences between my TOC and
the current one are:

* I've included yet-to-be-written placeholder titles based on
information I found was missing from the manual. Some of them (such
as node docs) are already elsewhere on the wiki and just need to be
copied over & consistent-ified. I also think it's worthwhile to keep
placeholders on the TOC page, since although it looks less
'professional' (the manual is hardly at a professional level now
anyway), it shows people what needs to be written, and encourages
contribution there.

* I've tweaked some names, and removed all the "/PartIII/" etc.
designators from the page titles, for a few reasons.
  a) They're unnecessary - who cares if it's part 5 or 6, the content
is what counts
  b) It makes it harder to crosslink to other pages, instead of just
intuitively writing [[Manual/Subsurf]] if I want to link to the
subsurf page, I have to go and hunt down the section number too in
order to make my link
  c) It makes the ordering of chapters inflexible, since it means all
new chapters (such as one on compositing) have to be added at the end
of the manual, to prevent changing all the links around. I'm happy to
take care of moving current pages to the new titles, without '/
Part/' (with auto link redirection of course).
  (btw, the black text in parentheses is for description now, and
won't stay).

So anyway, I thought I'd put this up for comments for a couple of
days, and then go ahead and finish the job! Let me know what you think.

cheers

Matt

Matt Ebb • matt at mke3.nethttp://mke3.net