[Bf-docboard] Fwd: [B@rt's Blender News] Comment: "Blender Quickstart Guide"

Pierre-Luc Auclair p.lucauclair at heliosmulti.com
Fri Jan 27 17:33:12 CET 2006

>if you put the poster on the verso, then where do we get the extra space? :o)
>I really doubt if people will buy this just for the little poster when
>the actual quickstart is included in the download anyway.

I thought you were talking about an oversized page. If it were say, 5—6-fold, with folds the equivalent of a A4 3-fold, then you'd have enough space to fit all the text you need, while leaving the recto for the poster. When you think about it, quickstart guides are only used for so long, and I'd rather have it hanged on a wall rather than thrown in the recycle bin, or worse!! the garbage can.

>This is not feasable since if you *buy* Scala, you (and 4 other users
>IIRC) are the only one to use this. I don't think Bitstream Vera is
>that bad, but like I said, we can look into other free alternatives.
>Perhaps Nimbus (=helvetica) is a better choice then? Not very fancy,
>but perfectly readable. I'll search a bit too!

I was not thinking about actually buying it, but more like asking them to lend them to the Marketing-Doc crew. Of course, anybody editing the files would have to sign something saying that they will not release the files to the web. If that's not possible I *guess* we could get away with a license-free font, although I'm not all to hot about the idea. Looking at Nimbus, the letterspacing seems wicked, although it could be fixed, I don't have the software to do that. Also, I'd rather stay away from a cheap copy of Helvetica, since it's already overused, it would just add to the ridicule. For printing matters or rasterized images on the web, I'd like Blender to stick to a single family (or 2 if there's need for a serif). Choosing one of good quality is, in my opinion, of upmost importance, since we'll have to stick to it for years. Looking on Typophile.net for a while, I found this link. It has a few nice fonts, although I have not tried them nor looked extensively at their feature set. http://www.alvit.de/blog/article/20-best-license-free-official-fonts

Pierre-Luc