[Bf-docboard] [Fwd: Feature Proposal Tracker]

Nathan Letwory jesterking at letwory.net
Fri Jan 27 08:59:31 CET 2006

On behalf of Rob, aka wavez:

-------------------------- Alkuperäinen viesti ---------------------------
Aihe:          Feature Proposal Tracker
Lähettäjä:     "rob c" <blender4ever at gmail.com>
Päiväys:       Pe 27.1.2006 9:58
Vastaanottaja: "Nathan" <jesterking at letwory.net>

I've sent this two times now and I haven't seen it posted, so hopefully
nobody is receiving duplicates from me.

I would like to propose the creation of a new web site that I think is
needed to greatly improve blender user and developer communication. All
the developers that I have talked to seem to like this idea, so I was
directed here. I don't take credit for this idea, others have had the
same. I'm just helping to push it along =).

I want to propose the creation of a web page: a vote driven, feature
proposal tracker.

   The idea is to create an organized, cohesive, feature proposal tracker
that would follow each proposal from inception to implementation, and does
so in a way that facilitates communication between developers and users.
It would be like a more advanced form of the bug tracker. It would appear
differently in the browser based on who is viewing it; either a registered
developer, or anyone else: most probably a user. It would do more than
appear different, it would also give each type of viewer access to
different aspects of the tracker.

   The benefits to developers would be that they could organize, prioritize,
and delegate the feature requests, and state publicly to all users what
issues may be present with the proposed feature. All proposals would come
and go the same way they do with the trackers that we have now. I suppose
it would take a developer--who has the authority--to decide when a
proposal is not going to develop into an end result, and remove it from
the tracker.

   The benefits to the users would be that they could see what has already
been proposed and learn what the development status is of any existing
proposals. They could also partake in proposal discussions, create new
proposals, and vote in user polls that will hopefully show developers (and
users too) what the users are wanting most.

   The proposal tracker would also be able to present an overview of all
areas of blender's features and what the development activity is for each
area, and could maybe even show commit history and developer comments.

   A global-to-local organization scheme might be needed to keep things
orderly and to help insure that all items are seen and voted on fairly
(insuring that none are neglected attention somehow). Some proposals may
have a very large scope, and may need to be planned for by the developers
to be worked on over an extended period of time. Other proposals may be
very, very small, and simple, requiring only a couple hours of the
developer's time to implement.

-wavez